Wednesday 21 February 2007

Smokers... er... smoke.

The week two discussion was all about smoking, which in all honesty isn't something I know much about. When asked to write down my own experiences with smoking, all I could think of was:

Er... I've never smoked. My mum used to, but she gave up before I was born, and my nan gave up when my dad died.

That was it. Not "I tried it once and saw a giant purple fox, then figured I'd best not do it again", I've never tried it. I guess it just doesn't appeal to me. I think it scares me slightly that my dad didn't really smoke or drink and had a heart attack and died at the age of 47, so I don't wish to give myself even LESS of a chance by smoking.

I can't say it bothers me if people smoke, I'd rather they didn't, but at the end of the day it's their choice.

Also, glancing over my notes just now, when asked what "cool" was, I appear to have written:

COOL = SLASH

in big letters at the top of the page. Hmmm... That'd make me a good anti-smoking campaigner... Has Slash (if you don't know who Slash is, you must DIE. Or listen to more Guns N Roses anyway) ever been seen without a cigarette hanging out of the corner of his mouth as he plays? If he has, I've not seen it. Not that that's what makes him cool, but you know what I mean. Just look at him!




Look me in the eye and tell me that's not cool personified!

Anyway, smoking, wasn't it? Got kinda... distracted... by Slash there...


I can't think of much more I can say, not being a smoker and not having a strong opinion on it... Um... What about the smoking in public places ban? Good or bad? I can imagine you can ask someone if they smoke or not and automatically know what their opinion is from that, can't you really?

I was always anti-smoking when I was younger, I think it was drilled into my brain by my family, none of them really smoking since before I was born, apart from my nan, who gave up when I was 11, but I think as time's gone on I've sort of given up caring. If people want to smoke themselves to death, let them do it. As long as they enjoy themselves doing it, you can't really judge them. It's like saying people can't eat chocolate cos one day it MAY give you cancer. You can't live in fear of what MAY happen. Well, you can, but if you do, I'm fairly sure you'll die pretty young, as EVERYTHING is bad for you now... Oh well.

I guess I've made no sense for long enough!

Oh, but if you got bored reading that, you can have a go at this game: http://www.bhf.org.uk/smoking/swi_three_minute_game.asp
It's Tetris, but with fatty deposits from cigarettes instead of blocks...

Over and out.

~Meg~

P.S..... Slash is a God. But Freddie Mercury (who also smoked, but I didn't think of that...) is THE God.

1 comment:

Viran15 said...

Yes firstly i agree about Slash looking effortlessly cool with a cigarette in his mouth. You did go off on a tangent about him but you are forgiven as he does rock.But he IS sending out a bad image that smoking is cool (even if he doesn't mean to) when it is not. I also agree with what you said about it being people's choice wheather they want to smoke becasue the warnings are EVERYWHERE that it is bad for you and will kill you - but people do not lisen. Like you said i had it drilled into my brain when i was young that smoking was bad for you. I have ashma though (did i spell that wrong, don't even know my own problem!) so smoking was a big no no anyway. I don't like smoking though so even if i was healthy as a horse i would still not smoke. What's the point? xx