Thursday 10 May 2007

Response Two: To Dave Evans

Dave (Alfredo Garcia) wrote:

""I'm leaving because I'm bored."
Actor George Sanders' suicide note.
Killing yourself; there's a bit of aberrant behaviour we haven't had a lecture on. Everyone's thought about it, but there's a line between 'I wish I was dead' and 'I wish I was dead, I'll do something to make it happen.' Very few people cross that line. What's going on in the head of someone if they're prepared to take that step? Is suicide just the ultimate selfish act? If you're thinking of topping yourself http://www.satanservice.org/coe/suicide/metaguide.html covers the common methods and your chances of success.
Picture is the actor Al Mulock in the opening sequence of Sergio Leone's classic Once Upon a Time in the West (1968). After finishing filming, Al went back to his hotel and killed himself by jumping from a window, still wearing his cowboy costume. Cool, huh?"

My response:

Suicide is a very serious subject. I read a comment from someone today on a website that said something along the lines of "I hate emos and goths. They hang around talking about how many times they've tried to kill themselves. They can't be that smart if they haven't managed to do it yet." Talking about suicide and attempting (or succeeding) to commit suicide are two very different things. I know some people think it to be 'cool' to talk about killing themselves, and many use it as a threat, especially after a row with parents or a partner. I recall not too long ago that a young boy, he was, in fact, in his first year of secondary school, hanging himself with his tie. He had told his sister to call his mum just as he tipped the chair so that she would come and see what he was doing. His sister called and his mum didn't hear. She walked into that room to see her 11 year old son hanging from the lamp fitting. Not a nice image, is it? I know that there are some people out there who do want to end their lives.

But I urge people to think about any other options there may be first.

Over and out.

~Meg~

No comments: